EMERGENCY GRANT FOR VETERANS
This grant was provided to the Marine Corps League South Coast Detachment, as an emergency fund, to be given to all honorably discharged Veterans of every branch who resides within the 5th District of Orange County.
The Fifth District encompasses the cities of: Aliso Viejo, Costa Mesa, Dana Point, Irvine South of the 405 Hwy, Laguna Beach, Laguna Hills, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Woods, Newport Beach, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, as well as the unincorporated areas of Coto de Caza, Emerald Bay, Ladera Ranch, Las Flores, Rancho Mission Viejo, Stonecliffe and Wagon Wheel.
If you or someone you know is having a financial emergency and needs assistance, then they can apply under one of the following criteria listed below:
1. Education: Funds may be used to help support veterans & their immediate families who are having difficulties paying for things related to school. Scholarships may also be given to children of veterans to help supplement tuition, books, billeting, etc. Funds may also be used for job training and placement.
2. Housing: Funds maybe be given for emergency housing issues that may not be covered by insurance or warranties. Some examples include roofing, plumbing, heating, A/C, etc.; assistance with closing costs that may be preventing a veteran from purchasing a home; and veterans homeless shelters that may need equipment or supplies to support their mission.
3. Medical: Funds may be given for medical emergencies that are not covered by insurance to veterans and their immediate families, including: the purchase of medical equipment to support veterans and their families; post-traumatic stress disorder treatment; and suicide prevention services.
4. Community Outreach: Funds may be used to provide needed community outreach to veterans, including retreats, nutritional counseling, food bank, transitional guidance, day care, and clothing.
5. Financial Hardship: Funds may be distributed for unforeseen financial emergencies, including: gas, groceries, family crisis, transportation to/from work, laundry, temp lodging, and vehicle maintenance.
If you feel you or someone you know doesn’t fit into one of the categories listed above, we still recommend you submit for this emergency grant. Provide the reason or reasons you feel you qualify and allow the sub-committee the opportunity to have the final decision.
*All applicants are required to submit:
Proof of being honorably discharged (DD-214), provide appropriate documentation supporting hardship and answer all questions the Sub-committee may require prior to approval of any financial support. The Sub-committee does not guarantee approval of any dollar amount requested in your application. The Sub-committee will vote and respond in writing the total amount that is approved for each application.